Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows EFS and Changing a Local Account Password

From: "Thomas D." <whistl0r () googlemail com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:36:11 +0200

Hello,

You are wrong that this is no impact of the user's password. The user's
password is used to create a master symmetric key that is used to
protect the user's EFS asymmetric private key (among other things). If
the administrator resets the user's password, the user will get a new
master symmetric key and no longer be able to decrypt their original EFS
private key.

Oh, you're right! But it isn't a drawback - it is a kind of security:

"The behavior that is described in this article is a security measure taken
to protect the security of the user's private information. A malicious
administrator that can reset a user's password and thereby gain access to
the user's account cannot access encrypted files or authentication materials
without the user's knowledge or permissions."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290260/en-us (MORE INFORMATION)

--
Thomas D.