Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows EFS and Changing a Local Account Password

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:35:43 -0400

You are wrong that this is no impact of the user's password. The user's
password is used to create a master symmetric key that is used to
protect the user's EFS asymmetric private key (among other things). If
the administrator resets the user's password, the user will get a new
master symmetric key and no longer be able to decrypt their original EFS
private key. If the user changes their own password, however, Windows
updates the master key appropriately. It's one of the biggest drawbacks
of EFS.