Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Down with DHCP!!!!

From: "Chris Barber" <cmbarber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:40:18 -0700

I am going to get right to the point.  I have been doing security for
several years in both DoD and Public sector.  As a Security
professional you NEED Management on your side, and you want the
Network, Server, and PC folks to be friends, not enemies.  It is your
job to create policy, and verify that compliance is adhered to.  To
increase the work load on the Network, PC, and/or the server staff
will not makes friends, and may put you out of the Graces of
Management.

Work Smarter, get the PC folks, the Network Staff and the Server
andmins involved, in finding out the best way to get a grip on the
issue at hand.

In the eyes of most managers, and worer bees Security is the bad guy,
spending money and creating work for everyone.

I have found that working with Operational Staff makes Security easier
on everyone.  Now that does not mean that you have to relax security
because it creates work, but if you ease into itand get the buy in
from Network and Server, and PC admins then with them on YOUR side
work with Management to get Policy, procedure, or what have you, in
place you get what you want (A Secure Environment), and everyone plays
nice in the sand box.

Stepping off the soapbox...

Chris.