Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Down with DHCP!!!!

From: robjohn () elmore rr com
Date: 18 Feb 2006 15:53:20 -0000

You can do everything you said without dropping DHCP.  Working with a 12,000 desktop environment or only a couple
hundred, DHCP is a automation tool that saves a company money every day, and frees administrators and Helpdesk
technicians to do real work.

My first and foremost concern has always been security and reliability, I don't see how DHCP will hinder security
efforts. In fact I consider a DHCP client to be less vulnerable than a static client, in the sense that the IP address
is changed periodically.

If you need to track and record specific aspects of your host, do it by hostname, not IP address.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus