Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Identifying passion for security?

From: jm <jm () hcn com au>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:28:35 +1100

I hear what you're saying, but when does this end? Can you be prejudiced against someone for the rest of their life for what is possibly a minor indiscretion when they were young and stupid?

IMHO there comes a time when people deserve a break.

I've been involved in a couple of .gov interview processes where people were cut a break, and they turned out to be great colleagues. Then again I know other people who will never ever be able to hold a security clearance. Doesn't mean they aren't great at what they do though.

That's just my 2 cents ;)

Joseph McCray wrote:
Being one that does a fair amount of technical interviews, I as well as
several other professionals in the field that I know more than likely
wouldn't look upon a criminal record favorably. Pen-testing often
involves the requirement for a security clearance (.gov or .mil security
work), Non-Disclosure Agreements, and an air of professionalism. At the
end of the day the client needs to feel comfortable with knowing the
intimate details of his network and/or custom applications.

If you have a criminal record I honestly can't see that working in your
favor unless you are Kevin Mitnick. Please don't take what I'm saying as
the gospel ask other people. This is just my 2 cents, and it's worth
exactly what you paid for it.