Security Basics mailing list archives

home users internet control app

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:32:05 +1000

Hi,
I have been tasked with finding some software that home based users can
install so that they can control access to the internet on their own
machines.
Basic capability:
1. Allow access to a list of sites only(whitelist).
2. Blacklist everything else
3. Do this on a per user basis
4. Do this on a time basis

This is all for a windows platform.
I have a kludge that I once used for IE users(set IE to use a proxy and make
it the loopback and then allow exceptions via wildcards and URL's-
Circumventing this could be trivial for anyone with alittle knowledge) but
wanted to know if there is a more specific solution that anyone has had
experience with.
 TIA