Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: question about CISSP experience requirements

From: Kurt Aubuchon <kurtaubuchon () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 04:30:24 -0700 (PDT)

Many thanks to everyone who offered advice.  Based on
what I heard, I think I'll give it a shot.  The next
exam offered in my area (Cincinnati) is in October --
I'll probably go for it then.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.  Best of luck
to those of you who are getting ready to take it.

Kurt

--- Kurt Aubuchon <kurtaubuchon () yahoo com> wrote:

Colleagues:

I'm preparing for the CISSP exam, and I feel pretty
confident that I can pass the exam with a little
more
studying.  But I think I might be a little short on
the experience requirement.  The website says you
need
"four years of direct full-time security
professional
work experience".  Do they mean that you have to
have
four years in a dedicated security role?  I would
think that something like IT Manager or Network
Admin
would count, but if the experience is at a smaller
organization, you're likely to be spending most of
your time doing things that are not directly related
to security.  I've got about 18 months as an IT
Manager and another 3+ years in healthcare, where
maybe 20% of my time has been security-specific
(HIPAA).  Does anyone have a sense of whether it's
worthwhile for me to try it, or if I'd be better off
saving the $500 for another couple of years?

Thanks
Kurt

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE -
ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center
of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers
unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can
earn this esteemed degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus