Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: question about CISSP experience requirements

From: Kurt Aubuchon <kurtaubuchon () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:11:06 -0700 (PDT)

It's not my intention to "get around the system".  Nor
do I want anyone to vouch for experience I don't have.
Typically I avoid unethical behavior.  I'm just trying
to understand the requirements better.

Based on some of the responses, I think I might
actually meet the requirements now.  I have a good
deal of network admin and DBA experience that I didn't
mention in my original post but which might be
applicable anyway.  Or, what I might do, as one member
suggested, is go for the "Associate" designation,
which gives me a few years to make the experience
requirement after passing the test.  That might still
open a few career doors for me.  I'm still kicking
that around.

Thanks again to all who offered advice.

Kurt

--- "Monroe, Bruce" <bruce.monroe () intel com> wrote:

A CISSP has to vouch for the experience
requirements. If a certified
CISSP vouches for the experience requirements when
you don't actually
have them that is a ethics violation...and a problem
in itself that
could result in issues with their own cert. I was
audited by ISC2 when I
got my CISSP a some years back so there is some
checking done. From my
experience they don't check everyone, but they do
check on a percentage
from every group taking the test. My recommendation
would be to get the
experience and not try the get around the system.
There are plenty of
other security related certificaitons you can get in
the interim, and
the experience will stand you in good stead
regardless. My 2 cents...

Regards,
Bruce

Note - the opinions expressed are my own and may not
reflect those of my
employer.