Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:04:32 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) [mailto:hylton () conacher co za]
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:36 AM
To: Security basics
Subject: Re: Different terms for the same or more secure?

so, in the example above although I might have 2 physical
LANs I could also have 2 VLANS, one for sales and one for accounts?

  Yes, it's quite possible that at each location, you might provide
one VLAN for sales and another for accounting, especially if you needed
to apply different policies to each.  Techniques for extending VLANs
across WAN links are pretty funky, so what you'd probably do (instead)
is add access lists to the WAN routers to freely permit traffic between
the two sales VLANs and between the two accounting VLANs, but
block/filter traffic trying to get from a sales VLAN to an accounting
VLAN or vice versa.

David Gillett