Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton () conacher co za>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:32:24 +0200

eliterhythm () gmail com wrote:
Hey hylton,
           The main advantage of having a VLAN is that they provide physical independence while defining a logical entity.
Say one of your account person sits on first floor & in accounts vlan can be in the same subnet with the other account
person who sits at 10th floor.
           However VLAN as a term, generally is considered to define a single subnet but you can also define two or
more subnets in a single VLAN.

In simplest words u can c a vlan as advanced stage of a subnet with many advanced options and facilities.
As per the security is concern, i cant see one more secure than another. both are eqally secure (or unsecure) however a vlan is much more flexible than a subnet.
Why and what(how) makes a VLAN more flexible? Using your example of a single accounts person from the tenth floor sitting on the 1st floor, all I would need to do for physical subnetting is make sure the 1st floor accounts person' PC had the same subnet as those on the 10th floor.

In the end can I say that a VLAN is a LAN segment within a LAN exactly as a subnet is a LAN segment inside a LAN ie a VLAN is a subnet?