Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: SANS Certification,

From: "Owen, Daniel" <Dowen () cmaworld com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:12:55 -0500

I believe with eh exception is SEC 309 (Intro to Information Security)
SANS does not sell naked courseware. They do offer self study
http://www.sans.org/selfstudy/ which includes all the courseware books
as well as MP3s of the lectures that are associated with the track. From
licensing standpoint you should not see courseware on the open market.
They are pretty clear that the study material is licensed for a single
user. http://www.sans.org/faq/#faq123

SANS is a great organization with excellent training. GIAC certs are by
far the most in depth and fair that I have taken. One thing I appreciate
is GIAC cert tests tell you after each question whether you got it right
or not and give you an opportunity to challenge the question. I felt no
need to challenge questions but at least I don't have that nagging
feeling that I might have gotten a question right that was graded
incorrectly that I have had with other certs.

Hope this helps.