Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SANS Certification,

From: "Nick Duda" <nduda () VistaPrint com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:04:39 -0400

As a newly certified GIAC GSEC I can share this...

I opted for the self study. They send you the course material (books,
lots of them, 30+lbs) and you also get the real MP3's from a recent
conference. The MP3's took me over 3 weeks to listen to (comuting
to/from work). They were the conference given by Marc Sachs (very cool
instructor). You also get 4 practice exams and then the real exam (which
was 2 exams).

I did the study material for about 2 months on my own and then did the
exam, and passed. The books and the MP3's (along with real world exp)
made passing the exam so much more awesome.

GIAC GSEC is one of those exams that is truly vendor neutral, as in you
need to know common / general security related stuff...and for the most
part is hard to just google around for. I found many questions along the
lines of something like, "When writing x policy , how would you do
x?"...this is hard to google around for.

While I agree that it looks like you cant take any GIAC exam without
doing some form of SANS specific studying, I think its totally worth the
time/money (money if your company is paying)

- Nick