Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Planning Overall Protection

From: Joe <bitshield () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 13:27:45 +0200

Hello Network Freek

I suggest you to implement the defense-in-depth strategy. This
requires you to implement multiple layers of security that must be
traversed sequentially. You can choose different vendors to make this
strategy most effective. Beware that various products use other
vendors scan engines so that a different vendor may not guarantee
different Malware prevention technology.

I consider the following "equipment" as good practice:

Internet gateway; here you can block all kind of web content
- viruses, trojans, spyware, etc
- URLs
- binaries and scripts based on their behavior
- various content types and file types

Client security suite on user's computer to:
- detect and delete viruses
- block network traffic
- detect intrusion attempts

IPS system to:
- block network based attacks
- block suspicious traffic

e-Mail gateway to:
- block viruses
- block or tag SPAM

There are tons of products that can do that. Implementing such a
strategy requires some time and costs a lot of money. You can have
simple tools that just to basic stuff and you can have tools that
allow very complex configuration. I would first define the
requirements and then I would figure out which technology brings you
the best short term protection. This could then be the starting point
of the implementation of your strategy.

Regards
Joe