Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Deploying SSL-based VPNs

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:49:23 -0800

On 3/30/06, Alice Bryson <abryson () bytefocus com> wrote:
ipsec vpn need a
client application which not suitable for a mobile pc or net bar pc.
ssl vpn donot need install client application.

Can you please clarify this stmt. As far as a I know all SSH / SSL
based VPN solutions need a client, whether it be a fat client, or a
Active X  client or a Java application / applet d/l .

All SSL/SSH based VPNs do, is create a tunnel. And to create this
tunnel they need to install some kind of application on the client. A
browser by itself can not create this tunnel. Atleast not yet. Maybe
when MS want to take over the SSL VPN market, they will include that
functionality in their web bruisers.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus