Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password Management

From: "Donald N Kenepp" <don () videon-central com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:50:06 -0400

Hi All,

  There are several reasons the number seven had been popular in the past.

  Seven might have been seen as an optimal number for passwords at one point
because seven is commonly held as the average number of characters people
are capable of easily remembering.  The truth to this I would have to yield
to the scientists and our phone systems.

  Rather than rewrite someone else's research on password length
recommendations, I'll just toss up a couple quick resources.  The first is
from the archives of Security Focus.  Please note that the article *is* old
and brief; do not stop your research at this article.

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1319
http://web.textfiles.com/hacking/advisory.txt

  The second link is to what I believe is some of the original L0phtcrack
information the Security Focus article references.  Again, it should merely
begin to explain where the number seven is coming from.

  You'll have to look around for more details about your specific system
setup and how to best secure it based on the authentication methods you are
using.  While in general the longer the password, the better it will hold
up, password complexity and the encryption algorithm in use play key
factors.

  Sincerely,
    Donald