Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Management

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:49:13 -0400

Jason T. Hallahan wrote:
I read somewhere that the optimal password length for a Windows system
is actually 7 alphanumeric characters... can anyone verify or expand
on that?

You can find some good insight in the interview we published with Solar Designer, who created the password cracker John the Ripper. Long passwords (or better, passphrases) are definitely better, but if someone can get the LM hash offline it's likely still game over no matter what (given enough resources). http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/388/2. It's always a balance between a good password and one that the user can actually remember.

My personal view is that it's better to enforce a strong password but don't require that it be changed too often... so many users take a strong password and just enumerate it slightly if it needs to be changed every month.