Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VALN hopping

From: "Scott Fuhriman" <fuhrimans () llix net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:16:49 -0700

VLAN hopping can be trivial as stated, but so can any attack if poor
configuration and administration is involved.  If you make the appropriate
configurations to secure your devices the risk of VLAN hopping can be
mitigated (of coarse, other factors such as the manufacturer and features
available to secure against Layer2 attacks can put you back into the trivial
attack mode).

Although you could create a DMZ type environment using VLANs it wouldn't be
a best practice and the other more accepted methods would be considered more
secure due to less risk of poor configuration.

SSF