Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Software Firewalls

From: "Chris Chandler" <chandlerchrisc () adelphia net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:47:04 -0400

Sygate works wonderfully with NAT
-----Original Message-----
From: Lance.Druger () wellsfargo com [mailto:Lance.Druger () wellsfargo com]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:35 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Software Firewalls

I'm personally (not the company I work for) looking for a new software
firewall.  I was using Sygate as it has an active IPS and excellent logging,
but it was purchased by Norton and has been discontinued.

- Zonalarm - 6.0 is unstable and lacks an IPS and the OS firewall slows the
PC down, and creates shutdown delays of over 2 minutes on a virgin install
of Windows

- Norton tends to litter the registry, but feature wise may be the best
option.

- Kerio has ceased development

I have a NAT router, but really need a software firewall (paid is fine) with
the following features:

Required:
Windows XP Compatible
IPS - unattended active shunning of users that attempt hacking activity
Does not slow traffic significantly
Bi-directional
Actively being improved/updated
Advanced rule creation
A decent (but not completely intuitive) interface
Program access control (preferably w/ MD5 hash)
A minimal IDS (logging suspicious activity)
Resistant to various "leak test" type attacks

Desirable:
Small memory footprint
Clean uninstall

Any recommendations or experience with the Norton product would be greatly
appreciated?

Lance Druger