Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Software Firewalls

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:16:42 +0200

On 2005-09-26 Chris Hunhoff wrote:
My personal favorite is:

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN

I have been using and recommending it for a couple of years and I have
yet to hear a complaint.

Well then, here you go:

I took a closer look at Tiny 6.0.140 in early January this year. The
default install is wide open (no filtering at all). It has interactive
privileged processes, so it may be susceptible to shatter attacks. It
installs no less than eight drivers and five services. And it tries to
establish a security system that mimics the Windows file and registry
ACLs instead of simply utilizing the existing security mechanisms. Not
to mention that the UI is next to unusable.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Another option [for defragmentation] is to back up your important files,
erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files."