Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless blocking

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:45:36 -0700

  It's certainly easier to find if it will broadcast the SSID.
But even if it doesn't, the SSID will be present in traffic when
it is actually in use.

  One of the tools I carry is a directional "hotspot finder".
Having a report in hand of unauthorised wireless in a particular
area, it has been able to quickly lead me to the violator's
office.
  This will become less useful as our legitimate wireless coverage
is enhanced -- but with that will come the capability to detect
and jam rogue points....

  Actually, the first rogue wireless router I found showed up a
bit differently.  A wireless client tried to hack one of our systems.
(We didn't know it was wireless at the time.)  When I did a traceroute
to the attacker, I got a response from another device on the same
address block first, and THAT turned out to be due to proxy ARP
response from the rogue router.  But (a) that's an artefact of
how that particular router was configured, and (b) it's not something
you can probably easily scan your network for.

David Gillett