Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: internet banking security

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:14:25 +0100

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 23:20 +0100, xyberpix wrote:
It seems like (from the subject and the thread in progress), that you
want to hire an
external co, to set up an e-banking site?

If that is the case, and like I said I could be reading this all
wrong, am I the only person
on this list that thinks that this is a completely insane idea???

What is insane about it ?

Hiring an external company ?

I don't consider that to be insane, it's a common thing to do, external
security professionals with proper security checks are a good resource
for this type of work. Having it done internally may be a good idea, but
generally someone working in the security industry has had previous
security checking and then they will go through the client organisations
security check procedure before being tasked to the project. This means
they will have had more checks than the permanent employees. External
companies like this work on reputation as their main asset, based on the
skills and integrity of their consultants.

As long as the client organisation verifies the reputation and performs
security checks they will be hiring people with a decent potential to be
trustworthy, as mush as, if not more than, their current employees.

(DISCLAIMER: I am an external contractor working in situations very much
like this.)

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3