Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ecryption Cracking Tools

From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:51:39 +0200

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 05:23:56PM -0000, jalbuquerque () northkingstown org wrote:
I'm taking a forensics class and we are learning encryption techniques and possible cracking techniques.  We were
tasked to encrypt a file then we will trade file and try to hack each others.

Does anyone know of some good freeware/opensource/trial cracking and/or encryption utilities....

PGP, Blowfish, DES5 etc.

Thanks
Jason

Hi Jason!

You could try www.gnupg.org or www.openssl.org for encryption tools.
But I don't see what you would gain in using such a tool. They can use
encryption that is very hard to crack (if possible at all). So there is
litte to learn except how to use those tools.
Most of the classic techniques for decryption and cryptanalysis won't
work on those.
For the purpose of learning what to do and why and where the errors
occur I'd suggest you try to write your own encryption/decryption
application.

Good luck
Florian

--
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
                -- Alfred Jarry