Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote desktop question

From: Alloishus BeauMains <all0i5hu5 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:10:11 -0500

Well, Remote Desktop is fairly secure by itself. It is encrypted
traffic, and using local group policies, you can encrypt it up to
256bit. Only the username is passed in cleartext for transmission. The
password and everything else seems to be encrypted.

Still, if it is open to the Internet, it can be exploited. I think
with an administrator account, you have 6 tries, and then a lockout
occurs for 30 minutes, and then you can try again. So, a brute force
attack, although slow, could prove effective. You can set this with
group policy as well. While you are at it, enforce strong complexity
requirements (at least 6 characters, 3 out of 4 conditions must be met
[uppercase, lowercase, special character, number]).

I have always read that a better method is to tunnel RDP either
through VPN, or through SSH. In either case, they provide an
additional layer of security that stops everyone from trying to get
into the system, and further stops everyone from seeing the remote
desktop login.