Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote desktop question

From: Netops <michael () bluesuperman com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:52:01 -0600

Hey,

I suggest allowing a user to SSH into a portal type server and they can use RDP over that.

On a linux box you could run:
ssh -L 3389:internalIP::3389 user@remotehost

Then I can now run rdestop 127.0.0.1 and my rdp connection will be forward over SSH to that internal IP :)

You could also setup a VPN over SSL :) using OpenVPN ... it is free.

Michael Gale

cc wrote:
Dear All,

The company I work with recently required a remote desktop access and
to keep the budget down, I used a XP Pro system to receive only one
Remote Desktop user.

Since this requires the opening up of a port on the firewall,
I'm quite concerned.  I have limited the system to only one or
two users who can log on.   Since this is my initial foray
into the remote desktop client (in the past, we used PCAnywhere,
but it's getting more and more expensive(hard to justify
purchasing a license for each system).

In what ways can I protect the remote desktop system from
being broken into?  (Well, aside from shutting it down.)

Any pointers appreciated.

Edmund