Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: TCP/IP Port Security

From: "Burton Strauss" <Burton () FelisCatus org>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:37:50 -0500

You might as well go out and jump off a bridge right now.  It will be much
less painful.

Quite apart from 100s of 'protocols' using unassigned ports, you also need
to remember the 'any random port' class of protocols, from ftp through CORBA
right up to today's VoIP usage.

The canonical list is maintained by iana (http://www.iana.org), but that's
at best a minimal start.

-----Burton