Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:48:20 -0700

  I deal all the time with a user population that thinks an
open jack is an invitation to plug in their laptop and start
downloading porn and MP3s, and that a jack with a computer
plugged into it can be freely converted to an open jack by
unplugging the machine that's there.  And they assume that
wireless they can connect to is wireless they're entitled to use.
  They clearly don't make the analogy you're suggesting -- or
if they do, Western Civilization is DOOMED.

====> How is Western Civilization "doomed" if people start to
respect other's property???

  Not what I meant.  If people consider walking into an unlocked
house analogous to plugging into an open jack, they're hardly
"respecting property" -- just the opposite!

David Gillett