Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:22:30 -0700

  IANAL, of course, but I *have* been paying attention to issues
like this.....

A)    What if any obligation to the neighbors does the person
who initially setup the Wi-Fi network have?

  None.  If I live on a corner and put up a fence around my lot,
I have no obligation to compensate the pedestrians who used to
shorten their journey by cutting across my lawn.

B)    What happens IF one neighbor goes in and reads/deletes
msgs/files from another neighbor's computer is the person who
initially setup the Wi-Fi network for their own use liable?

  Possibly.  A case could be argued that the unsecured Wi-Fi
constitutes an Attractive Nuisance, and a court could find civil
liability on that basis.  Not a gamble I'd choose to take.

C)    Can the person who initially setup the Wi-Fi network
legally go in and look around his/her neighbors computers?

  Of course not.

D)    What if one the neighbors get a virus, is the person
who initially setup the Wi-Fi network liable?

  Same as B.

E)    What if any expectations to privacy do the unauthorized
users have?

  PROBABLY none, but they may be able to argue that they were
not informed of that fact.  They might even argue that the
unsecured state of the Wi-Fi constituted -- for all they knew!
-- authorization, and that might make even the transmissions
*through* the Wi-Fi subject to various electronic communications
privacy legislation.

Moral:  Public Wi-Fi should be implemented deliberately, not
accidentally, and probably with legal advice up front.  By the
time any of these questions stops being hypothetical, it may
already be too late.

David Gillett