Security Basics mailing list archives

Allowing only 1 interface to connect to a network

From: Pranav Lal <pranav.lal () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:27:01 +0530

Hi all,

Suppose my computer is on a LAN. I have a modem connected to it. If I dial out via the modem, my computer will have 2 ip addresses; one from the LAN and 1 from the dialup modem. Is there any way to not allow such a simultaneous connection? So, if I am on the LAN and if I try and dial out, the computer blocks that feature? or the reverse, that is if I am on connected dialup and I connect to a LAN the LAN connection is not allowed?

At the moment I am looking at Windows xp, 2000 and 2003 server. However, I would also welcome tips on how to accomplish this in linux, solaris etc.

Pranav