Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File encryption

From: Jonathan Loh <kj6loh () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:37:40 -0800 (PST)

pgpdisk?  However, If the laptop is on and the key has been entered, then you
will still be at risk.  You may want to use pgpdisk and pgp encrypt certain
confidential documents.

But this presents an additional burden for the user.  They must remember the hd
pw and the individual file pws.  One way to limit the pws is to have a hdpw and
a specific file pw and various other file pws.  This way all the user would
have to memorize is two pws.  Let me explain.  There will be a hd pw and there
will be a file called clown.txt (secret.txt and password.txt are poor choices
as the bad guys will know this is the file to break) which contains the
passwords for all other confidential files.  This file will be encrypted in
addition to the other confidential files.  So once clown.txt is decrypted then
the other files can also be decrypted.  But this means clown.txt must be
updated everytime a password is changed or a new confidential file is created.

--- Marty <mortfromork () videotron ca> wrote:

Hi,

We want to make sure that if the laptop is stolen and the
encryption is broken that we have an extra layer of
protection. The password can be guessed or acquired from
social engineering (from my point of view), thus the risk.

Marty!