Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sans GIAC GSEC exam

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:21:29 -0500 (EST)

I'm kind of surprised by the answers you've received;
I thought there would be a lot of people who told you
to just write the exam.
I'm a local mentor for the SANS GSEC cert, so of
course I'm going to tell you to buy the material, go
to a conference, do SANS@home, or the local mentor
program. However maybe you don't have the money or
sponsorship to do that. Judging by what you have
already done you could challenge the exams and
probably do alright. The only thing your missing is
the CISSP domains because there is material for each
of those in the GSEC courseware. Do that and you'll
probably pass the exam.

However, what you should really do is take the course
(or just buy the courseware) and do the Gold
certification. It is precisely because anyone with
enough knowledge can pass the exam that I'd recommend
this. The practical sets SANS certifications apart
from many of the others and would do the same for you.
Even though there is some confusion these days, the
passing of a practical proves that you actually know
something, not just that you can write an exam.

Kenton

--- Steve Barron <thurgoodj187 () hotmail com> wrote:

Hi all

I have registered for the GES exam challange and was
looking for anyone's
opinions on resources to study.

Right now I have passed the Security + exam, which I
read 3 related books
for.  Also I have the GSEC PRep guide by Mike
Chapple and GSEC Security
essentials Toolkit by Eric Cole.  Also I have some
online training from
skillsoft.

Does anyone recommend any other resources other than
the expensive SANS
courses or study guides?

Thanks in advance

Steve