Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sans GIAC GSEC exam

From: shankarnarayan.d () netsol co in
Date: 25 Nov 2005 06:33:46 -0000

Hi,

Completed my GSec in sometime Nov of 2003 so dunno if this is relevant now.

Read quite a lot of the articles on SANS reading room. Infact, I was awake every night with a min of 3 - 5 articles for
a couple of months with Sat and Sun spending almost 8hours - reading/ running through the references and so on. That's
the cheapest way.......

Another things that I personally used was Network Security (cant remember the name now) book by Stephen Northcutt and
some other authors.

Also used the Handbook of Information Security available on the web. Used the security materials available on NIST
websites. Security Technets from Microsoft website

One horrible thing that happened was I got a lot of questions from Linux and xNIX (UNIX and related OS) for the exam
for which I was not prepared and all that helped me were intelligent guesses. One advantage was that I had a little
experience in Info-sec when I took the exam - so some previous experiences helped me

The other material that I personally used was CISSP materials - (dunno how relevant this is now) for the theory part,
discussions and interactions that I had at every opportunity with other colleagues who were also taking SANS.

Hope this Helps