Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Instant Messaging Applications

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:04:05 -0500

Alloishus BeauMains wrote:
At the PIX or firewall, or wherever your ACLs are kept, block incoming
or outgoing traffic to oscar.aol.com, the messenger login servers,
trillian, yahoo, etc etc etc.

Unfortunately, this method also has a great deal of administrative overhead. Do a lookup on messenger.hotmail.com. Do another lookup two weeks from now. A beer says that the IPs will differ. Trying to keep up with this is futile. If you don't believe me, see MS KB Article #889829 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/889829). I implemented this on February 13th. It worked for perhaps a month.

Heck, just checked and that article isn't even available anymore. It's referenced at http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/im.mspx, but clicking on the link gets you to an error page.

Thanks,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN
http://www.linuxwiz.net/

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."