Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Blocking Instant Messaging Applications

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:58:10 +1000

Just in the process of doing same here.
I have initially (For MSN Messenger) followed guidelines for disabling it
from running at all:
Of course--this is no good if they are localadmin.
http://woodwardcc.com/content/view/20/

I'm looking at other IM apps too now--will see how I can handle it on my
Watchguard. Perhaps something that looks at the type of traffic and blocks
it rather than by port?
Or disable at the source?
I've used winguard pro before to block apps at client level.(No good if
you're not on Windows).
www.winguardpro.com

Regards
Murad Talukdar