Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encrypted file

From: "Rochford, Paul" <paul.rochford () hp com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:53:37 +0100

This may not be an encrypted file. Someone may have changed the
extension on the file to bypass email filters so the file gets through.
It may not be a standard office file which is why it is opening with
garbled text in office. If you know the sender contact them and ask them
what type of file and what it's contents should be. If you do not know
the sender I would submit it here:
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html this will check it to see
if it contains malicious code.

Kind Regards,