Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: user name from security logs

From: mike () genxweb net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:14:50 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but based on:

here's my question:  Is there anyway to change the admin password
and/or get the machine's control back?  If not, Do i have to backup
and reinstall linux on every box?

Why don't you just reboot into singal user mode and change the password
that way?

Mod if this has been mentioned already please remove this post.

here's my question:  Is there anyway to change the admin password
and/or get the machine's control back?  If not, Do i have to backup
and reinstall linux on every box?

You need to redefine your root.
hit shift at the boot prompt and enter
boot: Linux init=/bin/sh
then do:
# mount -n -t remount,rw /
# mount -avt nonfs,noproc,nosmbfs
# cd /etc
# vi passwd
# vi shadow

if the second data field in /etc/passwd is x,
then you need to edit the second data field in the passwd file so that
it becomes empty. Then you can reboot and login to root without a
password.
--
Regards, Dave
Dare to be naive.