Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: help , scripting for security

From: Justin_Andrusk () Progressive com
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:49:43 -0400

PERL gets my vote. Modules to perform pretty much any task. Portable to
Win32 hosts. I have been using PERL in my security position for the past
two years for various tasks: FTP, Encryption, Win32 Registry, Services,
etc... Haven't touched Ruby. If you haven't scripted in another language
before it would be better to start with Python. Python is on PERL's behind
for the scripting language of choice. According to Eric Raymond, Shell
Scripting is dead. My $.02.

Thanks,
==============================
Justin Andrusk, GCUX
Information Security
Phone: (440) 395-0630
==============================

             "AMOL"
             <amol.sable@capsi
             lon.com>                                                   To
                                       <security-basics () securityfocus com>
             05/25/2005 09:14                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       help ,  scripting for security

Hi folks,
What can be the best scripting language that will allow me to write scripts
needed for network security purpose.
It shoul be extensible,can import various libraries,and be able to run on
multi platforms.

What can be the best option among:

1>SHELL SCRIPTING
2>RUBY
3>PERL

What are their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks'
---A.Sable