Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: help , scripting for security

From: Joe Topjian <joetopjian () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:52:48 -0400

It shoul be extensible,can import various libraries,and be able to run on
multi platforms.

What can be the best option among:

1>SHELL SCRIPTING
2>RUBY
3>PERL

What are their strengths and weaknesses.

Well Shell Scripting is definitely out. It's not extendible (in a
programmatic way), it has no libraries, and will not run on windows.

Ruby is what all the kids are playing with these days.  I'm even
dabbling in it.  It's fun and really easy to make your own classes and
extend them to other programs.  However, compared to perl, it's
extended module base is pretty shallow.

Perl is perl and will always be perl. There are modules for anything
and everything with perl. Go to search.span.org and search for things
like ssh, nmap, ssl, file, etc etc.

If you are careful enough, both Ruby and Perl will run on Windows,
OSX, Linux, whatever with little changes to the code.

IMO, I would stick with Perl but if you want to have a little fun,
play with Ruby afterwards.

--
Joe Topjian
email: joetopjian () gmail com