Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Checking when the OS was first installed

From: "Greg Stiavetti" <stiavetti () rentoneonline com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:38:18 -0700

You can check the date of the OS installation by examining the properties of the "C:\documents and settings" (amongst many other places) for "created" date and time.

If the OS was cloned it can be impossible to tell unless you have the orginal for comparison. If you do the SIDS will be non-unique.

Besides Ghost, check out Altiris, they make excellent deployment tools.

My favorite method of cloning is to use hardware RAID 1 and let the controller mirror the installation. Even works with RAID 5 volumes.

For information on RestorePoint, you should RTFM the helpscreens. Beyond that, know that it CANNOT be relied upon to work correctly, in a pinch it will fail.

----- Original Message ----- From: "ricci" <ricci () cs ust hk>