Security Basics mailing list archives

Checking when the OS was first installed

From: "ricci" <ricci () cs ust hk>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:07:39 +0800

Hello All,

I was given a Windows XP Pro bootup hard disk for verification of its first
installation date. What information I can verify when the hard disk was
first installed?

Secondly, if the OS was cloned and reproduced from another source, how can I
verify that? Other than Norton Ghost, what other tools could be used for
duplicating the hard disk? Besides, if I got a hard disk how can I verify
what software (for cloning) it has been used?

In a Windows XP platform, what is the use of Windows XP RestorePoint? What
information I can collect from the RestorePoint? Is that related to backup
information?

Thanks.

Ricci