Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is Dynamic WEP Secure Enough?

From: "Steve" <securityfocus () delahunty com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:30:03 -0500

I second what John Pettitt noted:
"Suggestion: forget WEP  - get a good ipsec based vpn system, put the
access points on a DMZ lan and require use of the VPN client to get
access to anything other than  a "help page" web server."

I would still use WEP though, would keep some folks off this wireless
network you create.  So segment your wireless network outside of your
corporate network.  The wireless network provides your users just with
access to your Citrix farm (if one exists) or VPN server.  The wireless
clients have to run your VPN client to fully get into the network.

Somebody that takes the time to gather enough packets from your network to
crack your WEP (before it changes) will only get access to the same boxes
you make publicly available anyway, your VPN and/or thin client systems
(Citrix).

STEVE