Security Basics mailing list archives

Is Dynamic WEP Secure Enough?

From: "Jon Smith" <like2hax () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:27:26 +0000

Hi
I am responsible for a large wireless infrastructure upgrade. Right now my plan is use PEAP w MSCHAP v2 with dynamic WEP crypto for my corporate SSID (I have others with much lower security requirements). I cannot easily go to WPA without ditching all my current devices that do not support it (good luck getting that past the CFO). We have a lot of physical security and surveillance with very tight controls, my primary area of concern would be people like myself sitting in the parking lot. Due to one of our applications, we will be sending a clear strong signal to the parking lot. Is this enough security and encryption to significantly slow intrusion attempts? Between direction finding capabilities of the Access Points and our roaming guards it would be a matter of time before we detected them.

Thanks

Rocko