Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Any remote client - without fixed IP

From: "Bob Beck" <goodfela26 () finneganfamily net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:17:32 -0500

If this is a home user and a VPN is out of the question:

To get around the dynamic ip addressing, you can create a dynamic dns
account (http://www.dyndns.org/) for the user and install a dynamic dns
update utility on the remote computer
(http://www.dyndns.org/support/clients/dyndns.html). Then, install your
remote control software (VNC, PCAnywhere, etc.) on the user's computer and
connect to it via the newly created dns account, i.e. homeuser.homeip.net.
This isn't the most secure way to do this, but it does work.

You can also use an ssh server on the client's pc along with a dynamic dns
account to give a more secure connection to the client. To do so, install an
ssh server (http://www.openssh.org or http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/) on
the client pc and configure it. Then, from the pc that you want to access
the client from, you can use putty
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) or any
other ssh client to create a tunnel to the client while using port fowarding
to connect to the client. For example, you can forward your local port xxxx
to connect to the port running your remote control server on
homeuser.homeip.net. Then, use your remote control client and connect to
localhost:xxxx and it will forward your request to the correct port on the
remote server using the tunnel you created.

I hope that helps.

Bob