Security Basics mailing list archives

ITT a good ISS school to attend?

From: Curtis <demoshark () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:51:44 -0800

Hi all,
Hopefully this question is directed to the right list. I am
considering going to ITT Tech for a.a. in SAP (Software Application
Programming) and a b.s. in ISS (Information Systems Security. )
I have heard a wide variety of pros and cons about ITT ranging from
"you learn more than other 4-year regular colleges" to "the
instructors don't even know what they are teaching and all you learn
is how to pass a certification, provided your instructor didn't
already sell it to you." One of the main reasons I am considering ITT
is because it is the only school in Southern California that I know of
that offers a degree in ISS.

Should I instead of looking for a degree in ISS but rather focus on a
degree in programming & networking then get security certifications?
Also does anyone know if ITT is really that horrible and if I should
instead of going to ITT go to a junior college?
Are my chances of getting a job leading to a ISS job even lower than
if I went to a four-year college? I do realize that security can be
hard to get into and may have to settle for a tech support job and
work my way up from there.
Finally, if ITT isn't a good school, any suggestions on a good
ISS/programming school that is located in Southern California?

Curtis