Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap scan results

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Virtual Linux-Sec net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:26:47 -0800

hi ya ju

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:37:37PM -0600, Ju Ne wrote:
I have been unhappy with many of the port scanners out there and I’m just
starting to learn the power of nmap.

which ones did you use ..

what features/functions were you looking for

there's not much one can do about port scanning to give you "unhappy results"

rest of the port scanners
        http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Scanner/

online port scanners
        http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html

I’ve been reviewing nmap scan results on my network.  If a port comes back
as filtered does that mean that it is open, closed, firewalled, or just
unknown?

depending on the site ... it can be firewalled or closed or unknown

i'm assuming you're port scanning a machine you are legally authorized
to be scanning ( ie  your own machines from outside of that target machine )

c ya
alvin