Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [lists] Career and Education Choice (another)

From: Elliott Bäck <ecb29 () cornell edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:19:50 -0500

Hi Jeroen,

Let me start with my qualifications to address your concerns. I am a Canadian citizen studying Computer Science as a Junior at Cornell University in the USA. So, I'm speaking student-to-student here.

Before you go off to school, I would learn a language like java, and make a substantial product in it. C is great for legacy systems and kernel code, but most companies have abandoned it for Object Oriented languages. So, learn java (If you know C, it's easy), and write a big project. Maybe a webserver, or a compiler--there are resources for both online. Since you already know some programming, doing a large project will help you decide if CS is really what you want to do. You can also put it on your application letters!

If it turns out you hate writing 10,000 lines of code in a couple months, CS is probably not for you--unless you go strictly into theory. At Cornell, I just turned in a 36,000 line Compilers project, which sadly we started 5 days before the due date. It takes a lot of code to implement the ideas you learn in class.

As far as universities go, here are the best (IMO):

+ Cornell University
+ MIT
+ Carnegie Mellon
+ Caltech
+ Stanford

I believe these five fall consistently into the top 10 schools for Computer Science for undergraduates. They all have diffferent styles: MIT is for study nerds, Cornell is more for engineers to build something (although it has many research faculty and Turing winners), Carnegie Mellon is more theoretical, Caltech is both nerdy *and* engineering, and Stanford I know little about.

As far as undergraduate, as long as you go to a good school and get good grades you can pursue a PHD in Computer Science, which would then lead into research and other "scientific" jobs.

(Your english has a few typos, but it's better than a lot of native speakers, trust me)

Thanks,
Elliott C. Bäck

607-229-0623
http://elliottback.com

Jeroen van der Rijst wrote:

Hello,

I know there's another thread but i prefer my own one :)

I want to get some skills in network/computer security/encryption and I want your advice which education I need.

I'm 16 years old, I know a bit of C and I'm learning to program in assemble (linux i486) I will finish ( the dutch
version of )highschool in one or two years..

Which ( Northern-American) university would be the best choice for me? Which education on that university?

And last but not least, what basic skills do I need to start a career in computerscience?

I do not want a highly paid job for security companies, I want a scientific job when I finished my education.

Yours sincely,

Jeroen van der Rijst

(hope my English is not that bad, I'm working hard on it)