Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Certifications

From: Mitchell Rowton <mrowton () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:49:46 -0500

I just finished my master's degree in Information Security from Stevens
Institute of Technology and I am looking to get my first security
certification.  I've read about the many security certifications out there,
and I have decided to go with the Security+ certification from CompTIA.  How
does everybody feel about this certification?  I would've rather tried to
get the CISSP but you need experience for that, and that's something that I
don't have right now.  Is this a good first certification in the Information
Security Field or are there better ones?

I'd read this article.

Is The Security+ Still Worth It?
http://www.certdocs.com/certification/717

<snip>
In my opinion the Security+ certification is over-rated and is no more
than another logo and a cert on the wall. Several people probably take
the test as a stepping stone to the CISSP; which is great to get the
basic knowlege before you go in with guns a blazing, or they take it
for the simple fact that it's a cheap certification that they never
have to renew. Truthfully, employers aren't really looking for the
Security+ certification, just the basic knowledge that goes along with
it, that you can get with any security certification. The best analogy
I can think of is "why bother getting your diploma, when you can get
your degree?" </snip>