Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IPX over IPSec VPNs or SSL VPNs

From: "Mark Lewis" <mark () mjlnet com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:15:04 +0100

Well, both of these protocols are obviously TCP/IP based:

1. IPsec operates at layer 3 and transports IP.

2. SSLv2/3 & TLS operate at layer 4 and sit on top of TCP.

The fact that both are TCP/IP based is the source of the 'issue' of non-IP
non-transport (!), of course. There are, however, a couple of ways around
this problem:

1. use GRE over IPsec: in this case, GRE is be used to transport non-IP
protocols (such as IPX), and IPsec protects GRE.

2. use L2TPv2/3 over IPsec: L2TPv2 is used to tunnel PPP, which can, in turn
be used to transport non-IP protocols. L2TPv3 can be used to transport a
number of layer-2 protocols including Ethernet (802.1Q/raw Ethernet), Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC (& HDLC-like such as X.25), and ATM (cell-relay/AAL5)- and
all of these layer-2 protocols can be used to transport non-IP. IPsec can be
used to protect both L2TPv2 and L2TPv3 tunnels.

As far as SSL/TLS is concerned- some of the SSL VPN clients are becoming
quite sophisticated (eg. Cisco's SSL VPN client), but none as far as I know
has yet been adapted to transport non-IP. And I must admit I doubt whether
any SSL VPN client will be (though please let me know if you hear of one!!).

So, here are a couple of links:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_configuration_examp
le09186a0080093f70.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns341/ns396/ns172/ns155/networking_solutio
ns_white_paper09186a008017fa6e.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_examp
le09186a0080093f6f.shtml

Hope that helps,

Mark

CCIE#6280 / CCSI#21051 / JNCIS#121 / etc.