Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Biometrics

From: Eduardo Kienetz <eduardok () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:12:51 -0300

On 2005-07-08 Trevor Jennings wrote:
Hi,  I have a bank customer who wants to roll out a biometric
(fingerprint) solution in an AD 2003 enviorenment for his branch
sites.  His primary goal is to reduce password administration and
secondary goal is to provide more secure authentication.  Does anyone
know of any banks that have implemented such a solution?  Has anyone
had experience with 'digital persona's product? Any thoughts on
bio-metric vendors, reviews or even ideas about token based auth
(remember password emimination Is the key).

Not an answer to your question, but some points you (and your customer)
might want to consider, since biometric authentication has various
security-related issues:

1. With biometrics you always have to find a balance between false
   accepts (wrong person get's access) and false rejects (valid user
   doesn't get access).
2. Fingerprints can be easily forged [1], and people leave their marks
   around everywhere they go.
3. How will you handle a biometric token (i.e. fingerprint), that gets
   compromised? People usually have only ten fingers.

Just a clarification here...
This is not a problem anymore... there are new fingerprint (even whole
hand) scanners that not only scan your finger/hand, but also measure
temperature/pulse (to make sure the hand is alive :). Besides that if
you use password-based auth, the "thief" would just need to threat you
that... for example he'll cut your finger if you don't tell him the
password... ;) etc.
One could even combine the scanning of BOTH hands to authorize.

I have experience with using eyeD hamster, which, at that time I was
working with it, was quite good. In fact, I've done the
programming/integration with an application login.
EyeD hamster used (again, at that time ~2 years ago) to store a
WideString as your finger representation. I know there are systems
where the image of your finger is stored. That finger record
representation would be also interesting to discuss.

http://www.secugen.com

[1] http://www.ccc.de/biometrie/fingerabdruck_kopieren.xml?language=en

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Regards,

--
Eduardo  Bacchi Kienetz