Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Any security attack state model

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:47:03 +0200

On 2005-07-07 ricci wrote:
I have been working on IT security attack methodology. Is there any
security attack methodology and category information that has been
adopted by IT market?

Besides, as I thought through security attack methodology, there
should be some step by step attack states. That is, after port
scanning, you will be able to attack web, etc. Is there any
methodology or good reference document?

Maybe I am not getting your point here, but I doubt there is such a
thing as an "attack methodology". An attacker will try to find and
exploit things their counterparts failed to consider (and will also try
to disguise their activities), so they will most likely try to *avoid*
any methodology.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."