Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tool or Service to recover lost NTFS partition/data

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:59:56 -0500

Hello Ismael, sorry to hear about your troubles, but happy holidays to
you to. =)

The first thing you should try is setting up that drive as a slave on
either another system, or using a different boot drive in the same
system. If only the boot sector has been damaged, then the rest of the
partition should be fine. If the FIXPART messed it up at all, then the
data is still there, just not being seen properly by the drive. It
should still be quite easily recoverable though.

I'd try two tools, one of which is freeware, the other has a free
trial (shareware). The first one is PC Inspector File Recovery[1].
It's worked wonders for me in my old repair shop. Easy to use and it
works, plain and simple.

If that fails, try GetDataBack for NTFS[2]. I've yet to EVER have this
fail me as long as the drive wasn't physically damaged. The price
isn't bad, though still a bit expensive for one use ($79). It's a nice
program to have around though for sure. Plus, you can give it a try
first to see if it's worth buying. (More info on the trial is on their
website.)

1 - http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
2 - http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

Best of luck.